If you didn’t make it to the TV Upfronts this year don’t worry. ThinkTV has got you covered with this handy dandy wrap up of all the goodies that will make TV easier to buy and more effective for advertisers in 2018.
What with the Upfronts, Allfronts, Partnerfronts and more, TV had more fronts than a 6pm weather bulletin, with a flurry of hot announcements about the future of technology, data and multi-platform distribution. So if you just couldn’t take it all in, don’t worry.
Here is what you need to know about what TV will deliver tech-wise for advertisers and agencies in 2018.
Oh, and it wasn’t all about whizz-bang innovation, it was also about the best content in the business. So below we have highlighted some of the new killer shows and the much-loved programs poised to return to multiple screens in 2018.
Pushing the barriers of innovation
- Multi Channel Network (MCN) unveiled its exciting new data partnership with SAS, the leader in analytics and the world’s largest privately held software company.
- MCN and SAS are developing SIA, named after the Egyptian Goddess no less, which is a new data platform that brings together market leading data sources and to give your clients a single consumer view across linear TV and digital platforms.
- Launching in 2018, SIA will integrate all of MCN’s different data sources, including TV, online, mobile, location and OOH, as well as data from agencies and advertisers.
- Acting as a ‘central nervous system’ for MCN’s data assets, SIA will become the cornerstone of all MCN’s data driven business initiatives, including Programmatic TV and Addressable advertising, as well as enabling new business models around data.
- Development of SIA started earlier this year, with testing already underway with the hotly-anticipated launch of the full range of new data products planned for 2018 and beyond.
NINE ENTERTAINMENT CO:
- Nine launched 9Galaxy, offering marketers and agencies far greater certainty on their TV campaigns by automating buying and selling of TV with a 100 per cent audience delivery guarantee.
- 9Galaxy is a new, fancy system that automates the buying and selling of Nine’s TV inventory and guarantee the delivery of its off-peak and multi-channel inventory, removing the need for time consuming “make goods – saving you time so you can spend more time with your clients. 9Galaxy lets brands enjoy the efficiency of a dynamic schedule delivered alongside the reach of Nine’s free-to-air prime-time channel and through live sport.
- 9Galaxy’s “secret sauce” is its predictive modelling technology, 9Predict, which allows Nine to forecast the ratings of its linear TV inventory. It uses big data, advanced modelling techniques and machine learning to improve the accuracy of rating predictions.
- And it’s not just for linear TV: Nine’s video on demand (BVOD) and streaming inventory will be integrated into 9Galaxy, allowing advertiser’s campaigns to reach audiences across all its inventory on connected televisions, mobile, app or desktop, all in one simple transaction.
- Nine’s data lake, which matches viewing habits of the current 4million+ authenticated users of 9NOW with online behaviours, will also be integrated into 9Galaxy in 2018, in preparation for audience-based buying and addressable advertising. This means you can combine the power of precision targeting of audience segments, already available in the digital world, with the vast reach of linear television, delivered in an automated fashion.
- Seven announced the scaled launch of live “Addressable TV” in Australia, kicking off with Seven’s live coverage of the Rugby League World Cup.
- Addressable TV allows Seven’s advertising partners to dynamically insert targeted video commercials on Seven’s live streaming and video on demand content. These addressable targeted TV ads can be specific to the individual user on a 1:1 basis.
- Addressable TV delivers the benefits of TV’s mass audience delivery and reach coupled with the specific consumer targeting of digital platforms. Premium, targeted digital video advertising will be a cornerstone of Seven’s accelerating moves into over-the-top (OTT) content delivery with the launch of 7plus.
- Seven will launch its automated buying platform – Code 7 in early 2018. Allowing automated buys of key shows and environments that match brand attributes with the click of a button. All campaigns can be bought as a standard reach and frequency buy, a cost per thousand buy, or a combination of both, across all channels, dayparts and programs. With the ability to track the campaign delivery on a daily basis through the Code 7 web portal.
- Seven also announced 7plus: a new, world class OTT service providing access to live and on demand, an extended content library, exclusive original commissions. We’re excited about this one coz it lets us “binge-stack” our favourite programmes. Now all we need is a rainy weekend so we can take advantage of an afternoon on the couch.
- Network Ten showcased its data and sales partnership with MCN and spoke at length of the opportunities in audience targeting, automation and trading delivered through the new SIA data solutions platform.
- On another tech topic, Ten also said the impressive growth of its online catch-up and streaming service, tenplay, continued during 2017.
- It reported a 27% increase in video segment views, a 25% lift in video starts and a 13% rise in the average time people spent per visit. Perhaps all those The Bachelor Australia and The Bachelorette Australia loving millennials living at home are watching TV after all?
- Network Ten’s digital presence is set to grow dramatically early next year with the arrival of ten daily, a standalone, mobile-optimised website rich in short-form video content offering premium and exclusive entertainment, lifestyle, opinion news and sport content to your client’s consumers.
- And many of Network Ten’s on-air stars and presenters will be part of ten daily, giving consumers and advertisers a compelling, exciting and unique destination to connect with great content.
Local premium content
With a slate of new and returning programs set to hit screens in 2018, you’re guaranteed to find something that (you and) your brands will love.
This is just a taster of the locally-produced premium entertainment and drama programming on offer.
Add in an irresistible slate of premium sporting content, news and factual, and other genres, and there’s something for every brand.
New Shows Include (FOXTEL has yet to announce many of its new shows for 2018)
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Great Australian Bake Off, Crimes that Shook Australia, Gogglebox, Wentworth
NINE ENTERTAINMENT CO:
Talkin’ Bout Your Generation, Underbelly Files: Chopper, Bite Club, Buying Blind, Date Night, Driving Test, Eat Well For Less
Australian Ninja Warrior, Married at First Sight, The Block, The Voice, The Story with Hamish & Andy, This Time Next Year
Olivia Newton-John: Hopelessly Devoted To You; Australian Gangster; Undercurrent, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, The Mentor, Australian Spartan, The Real Full Monty, Jimmy Barnes: Working Class Boy, Interview with Andrew Denton, Back with the Ex.
My Kitchen Rules, House Rules, Little Big Shots, Wanted and exclusive to 7plus, Yummy Mummies, Wanted, Home and Away, The Rich House, Dance Boss
Bachelor In Paradise, Blind Date, Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures, Street Smart, The Secret Life Of Four Year Olds, How To Stay Married, Playing For Keeps, Hughesy We Have A Problem
MasterChef Australia, The Bachelor Australia, The Bachelorette Australia, I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!, Australian Survivor – Champions v Contenders, Have You Been Paying Attention?, The Project, Family Feud, The Living Room, Shark Tank, CRAM, Todd Sampson’s Body Hack 2.0, Neighbours, Bondi Rescue, Studio 10